Task 3d Critical Reflection
Returning to the course reader on reflection and thinking critically about what myself and others have been doing to date has taught me new and different ways to think.
Do some very specific ideas emerge about your networking and sources? Does your engagement to date seem appropriate? Limited? Focused? Planned? Unplanned?
‘Having common interests with my friends, close working relationships and affiliations with my fellow cast members, distant relationships with former employers and teaches and creating a formal identity amongst my fellow BAPP students, I feel the spectrum of professional networks available to me are vast.’ (Amy Ruffell Task 3b)
This part of the module really underlined the variety of networking relationships available to me. Before studying this part of the paper, and looking deeper into networking, I honestly felt that I mainly networked via Web 2.0 and workmates.
Investigating the sources available to me, and the sources used by others , I have come to realise how limited my networking once was and the potential it has to develop into a much more planned way of engaging with others.
Before completing this segment of the module I would have considered myself a planned and focused network practitioner. However, I have come to discover just how limited my outlook on networking honestly was.
Upon completion of this Task I feel positive that my professional networking skills could only improve, and help take me to new levels, due to the new ideas I had focused on an the appreciation I had towards the networking sources and ideas of others.
I have not engaged an appropriate amount with my fellow students, especially during tasks 1 and 2 of the module, but arriving to task 3 I have learnt to appreciate how beneficial it can be to share my thoughts and learn from the thoughts of others.
I am aware that the most popular way to network in this profession is via web 2.0. But I was surprised to discover that, like myself, a large percentage of my fellow students appreciate greatly informative dance related newspapers and magazines.
It seems that, although popular, word of mouth networking would appear to be the most questioned method.
Conversing with Laura S about this theory I do feel trust plays a key role towards the doubts surrounding word of mouth networking.
Are your ideas , position or concerns shared by others within and/or beyond your professional area of work, and if so, why do you think they are interested?
Conversing with my close workmates and friends, not all of whom are involved in the performing world, has enabled me to understand that I am not alone with some of ideas that I have.
This is a section taken from my journal writing experience blog, expressing the frustration I felt towards the pressure to always be in control.
‘When I arrived to do this section I found it hard to imagine scenarios that were fun and exciting. Instead I found myself thinking, ''What if the hydraulics at the front of the stage broke?'', ''What if the audience were unpleasant and shouted comments at us?'','' What if I fell off the front of the stage?'' , ''What if it was my shoe that broke?''.
I decided to take a 5 minute break and return to this section to see if I couldn't be more imaginative. But when I returned to the task I could still not be positive so I focused on what I would hate to happen.
I feel I had this response to this task as I know I always worry about something bad happening during the show. As a professional dancer I have a lot of pride in the way I work, naturally things happen, but I realise I have to let go of these thoughts and realise I can not control everything‘ (Amy Ruffell journal writing experience.)
Seeing frustration often appear in other peoples blogs I understand I am not alone with this feeling. Observing workmates during a performance I have also noticed just how hard we, as artists, are on ourselves.
This idea also expands to people outside of the performing world, I have a friend that is a basketball player and I have watched him numerous times drive himself into a hole due to not feeling pride in his work or not feeling in control of a situation.
One of the main concerns I have, as previously mentioned, is the concept of networking via word of mouth.
‘It is not uncommon for dancers to share contact information, especially amongst friends. Work is not always easy to come by, especially if you are unable to attend auditions, so emailing companies is a fundamental part of professional networking.
Once I gave a friend the email addresses of all of my contacts, with the promise of her returning the favour, but disappointingly I never received hers.
I feel that this was one of those incidents that pushed me to pull away from the friendship, and teaching me the lesson that, especially professionally, only I can help myself get to where I want to be. I would rather be offered a contract off of my own efforts to search the internet for information than off the back of someone else’s hard work.’ (Amy Ruffell task 3b)
I have approached Laura S about this theory, inquiring if she shares the same feelings towards conventional methods other more relaxed and unprofessional al methods.
http://laurasinigaglia.blogspot.com/2011/05/3c-sources-of-information.html?showComment=1304700270871#c3085726260992371839
I do believe a large majority of artists do share the same concerns as worries I have expressed here, but I do not believe people necessarily talk about it due to not wanting to appear ‘weak’ in this business.
Does sharing ideas and communicating with others shift your thinking, planning or practice?
Sharing my thoughts with just one person has granted me the strength to feel more justified with my concerns. I may have felt that I was not the only person to share the views I have but conversing with someone in the same profession with the same worries has proved my feeling was correct.
Sharing ideas and methods regarding networking has helped me realise other routes that would be beneficial for me to explore.
As Stephanie and Laura S have explained they are not iphone users. I am also not connected to the internet through my mobile phone. It is however a tool for networking that I would be interested in obtaining. I have never felt the need to be connected to the internet every second of the day, but using a pay as you go internet system definitely has a few disadvantages that an iphone, for example, could be beneficial for me.
Does critical reflection help you decide what really matters and the actions to take?
‘I can reflect-in -action, but when reflecting on this my judgement is often hasty and not well thought out. If I take a step back from a situation and look in from the outside that is when I feel comfortable to give my opinion. Studying the theories of Schon I am slightly shocked that I do not participate more in reflection-in-action. The strange thing I found is, for example, if there is something wrong with the timing of choreography I feel comfortable to stand alone and try to find a solution. I would class this as reflection-in-action as I am problem solving on the spot. But the fact I have to stand away from the crowd and take five minutes to watch and think means I am reflecting-on-action, watching what is happening around me.’ (Amy Ruffell reflective theory)
Having the skills to reflect critically regarding certain matters is a very important tool to harvest. In a work environment it is very important for me to be able to reflect on the actions I take and if they were in fact necessary.
As much as I will be working on the skill, reflecting-in-action, I am satisfied that I have a firm grasp on reflecting-on-action.
To what extent do concepts and theories assist you in thinking about you professional networking in different ways? And do these different ways of thinking have some purpose for you?
The concepts of affiliation and cooperation have provided me with a more beneficial way of approaching networking.
The initial three questions extracted from Axelrod,R. enabled me to have a fresh outlook regarding the way I cooperate with regards to my work environment and whilst networking.
‘If one is not always willing to cooperate in a situation they are often referred to as ‘acting selfishly’, but responding to the questions based on topics that are not Dance related I have grasped a wider idea of how cooperation can both aid and hurt professional networking. In some cases where I may have avoided a confrontation by cooperating, I realise now that acting that way my not necessarily help growth of my professional network.’ (Amy Ruffell the networked practitioner)
From the theories presented by Hofstede, Crisp and Turner, I have been able to make the definition between affiliate relationships and close work mates.
‘I would consider myself, for the most part, a very open book, an extrovert. I don’t necessarily require a great deal of privacy, when I feel the need to remain alone I give myself that time. Being open I allow my affiliations to deepen, over time, into long-lasting friendships, where we help each other when either of us needs help. I would class this kind of relationship as a close working relationship, looking back at the cooperation portion of the reader, my close workmates would fall under cooperation section, question 1, networking example.
Affiliations that I have formed over the years would be more likely to fall into the cooperation section, question 3 networking example.'(Amy Ruffell task3b)
I believe it is important to separate close work mates from affiliations, having the tools to be able to do so could greatly impact the success of my networking practises.’ (Amy Ruffell the networked practitioner)
I often feel like I find it difficult to explain the ideas I have inside my head, but by studying the theories of others I feel I can express the feelings I have once suppressed.
The concepts of cooperation and affiliation will, from now, play a role in the way I conduct myself whilst professional networking.
Are you left thinking differently prior to this part of the module? And if so how?
Throughout this module I feel I have learnt a great deal about myself, the way I act personally and professionally, the way the a network and most importantly the things I can improve on.
This module has helped me understand the way in which I learn, Kolb’s Learning cycle, and how to improve my work relationships by understanding others learning patterns.
I have gained confidence in journal writing, not being afraid to talk about events that upset or anger me.
I have learnt when it is appropriate to cooperate and ,when the time arises, to be selfish.
The insight into networking this module offers is completely priceless, it will be a lesson that will remain with me until my career as a dancer is over, which I can also apply to any for of career.
The ideas and opinions of my fellow students have helped push me out of my comfort zone of learning ,understanding and participating.
I finish this module feeling very content and secure with the information I have acquired, personally and professionally.
Returning to the course reader on reflection and thinking critically about what myself and others have been doing to date has taught me new and different ways to think.
Do some very specific ideas emerge about your networking and sources? Does your engagement to date seem appropriate? Limited? Focused? Planned? Unplanned?
‘Having common interests with my friends, close working relationships and affiliations with my fellow cast members, distant relationships with former employers and teaches and creating a formal identity amongst my fellow BAPP students, I feel the spectrum of professional networks available to me are vast.’ (Amy Ruffell Task 3b)
This part of the module really underlined the variety of networking relationships available to me. Before studying this part of the paper, and looking deeper into networking, I honestly felt that I mainly networked via Web 2.0 and workmates.
Investigating the sources available to me, and the sources used by others , I have come to realise how limited my networking once was and the potential it has to develop into a much more planned way of engaging with others.
Before completing this segment of the module I would have considered myself a planned and focused network practitioner. However, I have come to discover just how limited my outlook on networking honestly was.
Upon completion of this Task I feel positive that my professional networking skills could only improve, and help take me to new levels, due to the new ideas I had focused on an the appreciation I had towards the networking sources and ideas of others.
I have not engaged an appropriate amount with my fellow students, especially during tasks 1 and 2 of the module, but arriving to task 3 I have learnt to appreciate how beneficial it can be to share my thoughts and learn from the thoughts of others.
I am aware that the most popular way to network in this profession is via web 2.0. But I was surprised to discover that, like myself, a large percentage of my fellow students appreciate greatly informative dance related newspapers and magazines.
It seems that, although popular, word of mouth networking would appear to be the most questioned method.
Conversing with Laura S about this theory I do feel trust plays a key role towards the doubts surrounding word of mouth networking.
Are your ideas , position or concerns shared by others within and/or beyond your professional area of work, and if so, why do you think they are interested?
Conversing with my close workmates and friends, not all of whom are involved in the performing world, has enabled me to understand that I am not alone with some of ideas that I have.
This is a section taken from my journal writing experience blog, expressing the frustration I felt towards the pressure to always be in control.
‘When I arrived to do this section I found it hard to imagine scenarios that were fun and exciting. Instead I found myself thinking, ''What if the hydraulics at the front of the stage broke?'', ''What if the audience were unpleasant and shouted comments at us?'','' What if I fell off the front of the stage?'' , ''What if it was my shoe that broke?''.
I decided to take a 5 minute break and return to this section to see if I couldn't be more imaginative. But when I returned to the task I could still not be positive so I focused on what I would hate to happen.
I feel I had this response to this task as I know I always worry about something bad happening during the show. As a professional dancer I have a lot of pride in the way I work, naturally things happen, but I realise I have to let go of these thoughts and realise I can not control everything‘ (Amy Ruffell journal writing experience.)
Seeing frustration often appear in other peoples blogs I understand I am not alone with this feeling. Observing workmates during a performance I have also noticed just how hard we, as artists, are on ourselves.
This idea also expands to people outside of the performing world, I have a friend that is a basketball player and I have watched him numerous times drive himself into a hole due to not feeling pride in his work or not feeling in control of a situation.
One of the main concerns I have, as previously mentioned, is the concept of networking via word of mouth.
‘It is not uncommon for dancers to share contact information, especially amongst friends. Work is not always easy to come by, especially if you are unable to attend auditions, so emailing companies is a fundamental part of professional networking.
Once I gave a friend the email addresses of all of my contacts, with the promise of her returning the favour, but disappointingly I never received hers.
I feel that this was one of those incidents that pushed me to pull away from the friendship, and teaching me the lesson that, especially professionally, only I can help myself get to where I want to be. I would rather be offered a contract off of my own efforts to search the internet for information than off the back of someone else’s hard work.’ (Amy Ruffell task 3b)
I have approached Laura S about this theory, inquiring if she shares the same feelings towards conventional methods other more relaxed and unprofessional al methods.
http://laurasinigaglia.blogspot.com/2011/05/3c-sources-of-information.html?showComment=1304700270871#c3085726260992371839
I do believe a large majority of artists do share the same concerns as worries I have expressed here, but I do not believe people necessarily talk about it due to not wanting to appear ‘weak’ in this business.
Does sharing ideas and communicating with others shift your thinking, planning or practice?
Sharing my thoughts with just one person has granted me the strength to feel more justified with my concerns. I may have felt that I was not the only person to share the views I have but conversing with someone in the same profession with the same worries has proved my feeling was correct.
Sharing ideas and methods regarding networking has helped me realise other routes that would be beneficial for me to explore.
As Stephanie and Laura S have explained they are not iphone users. I am also not connected to the internet through my mobile phone. It is however a tool for networking that I would be interested in obtaining. I have never felt the need to be connected to the internet every second of the day, but using a pay as you go internet system definitely has a few disadvantages that an iphone, for example, could be beneficial for me.
Does critical reflection help you decide what really matters and the actions to take?
‘I can reflect-in -action, but when reflecting on this my judgement is often hasty and not well thought out. If I take a step back from a situation and look in from the outside that is when I feel comfortable to give my opinion. Studying the theories of Schon I am slightly shocked that I do not participate more in reflection-in-action. The strange thing I found is, for example, if there is something wrong with the timing of choreography I feel comfortable to stand alone and try to find a solution. I would class this as reflection-in-action as I am problem solving on the spot. But the fact I have to stand away from the crowd and take five minutes to watch and think means I am reflecting-on-action, watching what is happening around me.’ (Amy Ruffell reflective theory)
Having the skills to reflect critically regarding certain matters is a very important tool to harvest. In a work environment it is very important for me to be able to reflect on the actions I take and if they were in fact necessary.
As much as I will be working on the skill, reflecting-in-action, I am satisfied that I have a firm grasp on reflecting-on-action.
To what extent do concepts and theories assist you in thinking about you professional networking in different ways? And do these different ways of thinking have some purpose for you?
The concepts of affiliation and cooperation have provided me with a more beneficial way of approaching networking.
The initial three questions extracted from Axelrod,R. enabled me to have a fresh outlook regarding the way I cooperate with regards to my work environment and whilst networking.
‘If one is not always willing to cooperate in a situation they are often referred to as ‘acting selfishly’, but responding to the questions based on topics that are not Dance related I have grasped a wider idea of how cooperation can both aid and hurt professional networking. In some cases where I may have avoided a confrontation by cooperating, I realise now that acting that way my not necessarily help growth of my professional network.’ (Amy Ruffell the networked practitioner)
From the theories presented by Hofstede, Crisp and Turner, I have been able to make the definition between affiliate relationships and close work mates.
‘I would consider myself, for the most part, a very open book, an extrovert. I don’t necessarily require a great deal of privacy, when I feel the need to remain alone I give myself that time. Being open I allow my affiliations to deepen, over time, into long-lasting friendships, where we help each other when either of us needs help. I would class this kind of relationship as a close working relationship, looking back at the cooperation portion of the reader, my close workmates would fall under cooperation section, question 1, networking example.
Affiliations that I have formed over the years would be more likely to fall into the cooperation section, question 3 networking example.'(Amy Ruffell task3b)
I believe it is important to separate close work mates from affiliations, having the tools to be able to do so could greatly impact the success of my networking practises.’ (Amy Ruffell the networked practitioner)
I often feel like I find it difficult to explain the ideas I have inside my head, but by studying the theories of others I feel I can express the feelings I have once suppressed.
The concepts of cooperation and affiliation will, from now, play a role in the way I conduct myself whilst professional networking.
Are you left thinking differently prior to this part of the module? And if so how?
Throughout this module I feel I have learnt a great deal about myself, the way I act personally and professionally, the way the a network and most importantly the things I can improve on.
This module has helped me understand the way in which I learn, Kolb’s Learning cycle, and how to improve my work relationships by understanding others learning patterns.
I have gained confidence in journal writing, not being afraid to talk about events that upset or anger me.
I have learnt when it is appropriate to cooperate and ,when the time arises, to be selfish.
The insight into networking this module offers is completely priceless, it will be a lesson that will remain with me until my career as a dancer is over, which I can also apply to any for of career.
The ideas and opinions of my fellow students have helped push me out of my comfort zone of learning ,understanding and participating.
I finish this module feeling very content and secure with the information I have acquired, personally and professionally.
No comments:
Post a Comment