Thursday, May 5, 2011

3a Current Networks

Task 3a Current Networks.

In my profession I believe that it is very important to have a stable networking base, whether the preference is web 2.0 or a non- technical approach.  The networking communities you become a part of can either help or hinder your professional status.

Personally I am a firm advocate of  Web 2.0 and the vast range of information I can gain and the doors it may open for me. I am not opposed to the non-technical options, I believe on some level they do go hand in hand,  but when it comes to getting that quick response often needed, or the search for last minute information Web 2.0 seems to have more advantages.

The Current Web 2.0 Networks I use are:
-Facebook
-Dancers Pro
-Ents Web
-The Stage Newspaper online
- Emails

The non-technological networks I use are:
-Word of mouth
-Friends in the business
-Phone calls
-Post
-Agents
-The Stage Newspaper

I do not agree with using Facebook as a means to promote myself, unless I had a separate profession profile, I would not feel comfortable adding companies to my personal page.
The resources available prompt me to represent myself in a much more professional light.

Using a website such as Dancers Pro, for example, allows me to form a personal profile that I will be credited on based purely by the information available to the companies viewing me. I feel this is the most professional form of advertising myself along with contacting companies directly with my information. The problem is the lack of affiliation granted by this form of networking.

Often both performer and employer can be deceived by videos or advertisements for jobs. I also believe it is always important to ask a friend if they have heard of a company or know people working for the employer, or to research the company , just as I am aware a prospective employer has the freedom to request a reference from a past employer .

Thus being said in the above circumstance the initial networking took place via Web 2.0 but the outcome may have more to do with a non-technological way of  networking.

Agents are a very effective way of securing work. An agent should act as the middle-man between the artist and employer, therefore reducing the amount of time an artist needs to put into networking.
I feel, as a confident person, an agent is not always necessary. I enjoy being able to connect with companies and believe representing oneself can lead to better a more positive outcome. With the technology available today it is by no means hard finding contact details, and the personal touch one can feel by receiving an personal email may just tip the boat in my favour, but I am always vigilant and enquire first if  the company will accept my information before sending it.

I feel that I participate in networking to a standard level for my profession. Although I am lucky enough to have been working securely for the same company for the past two years I still take into account that my contract expires every six months. I never miss an opportunity to meet co-workers friends, who also work in the business, or email companies I have previously worked for with new photos or an up dated CV.

I believe it is very important to always try and keep up to date with new networking skills.
It is also very important to always conduct myself with a certain level of professionalism, as I can never know who may be offering me that next contract. 

I would like to engage more in non- technological ways of networking, by actually attending auditions and being able to represent myself in person, rather than on video. But as I am working abroad this is not always an option for me.

‘It’s not what you know , it’s who you know’

I am aware that I need to take more time conversing with people in the business to get a better idea on how to and how not to approach companies, friends may know that little extra something that they need to see in a video, for example. Engaging more with friends about work could most definitely be beneficial, they  may even feel comfortable enough to put my name forward to a company, which would be fantastic.
I have also never contacted an agent regarding work. I am not against working with an agent I just have never had the need to. In the future I do believe having an agent would help broaden my network and my range of work.



No comments:

Post a Comment