Thursday, May 5, 2011

Task 3c Sources of information.

Task 3c Sources of information.

As already discussed in task 3a, the variety of sources available to help towards successful networking is huge. It has been very interesting reading over other students blogs on this topic, comparing and learning from the reasoning behind their ‘top 5 sources’.

My top 5 methods of networking are…
1- Internet -information I search for.
2- Internet - information I receive i.e. company newsletters and updates
3- Word of mouth
4- The stage newspaper
5- Mobile phone.


I believe there is more than one way to network via the internet. As any other dancer does, I am constantly checking websites to try and seek out the ’perfect next contract’. But I have become a fan of using a slightly different method of networking via the internet.
 An example of this method is;
I have signed up to a website where I receive a daily email listing the most recent jobs and auditions, but also I only receive information on the type of job I has expressed interest in. This is beneficial as I do not have to spend time filing through lists of available jobs, that do not fit my profile, and can instead put my efforts into applying for those I am interested in.

Word of mouth is also one of the more popular ways for me to engage in Professional networking. I am currently working with two dancers who have agencies, and one who has her own business providing shows. There are daily conversations about which companies are looking to cast dancers, who knows where to get their contact details from, who has worked for the company already, and who knows someone already working for the company.  I have always been told that the dancing world is a small world, but word of mouth networking just proves to me how small it really is.

The Stage Newspaper is the method of networking I used to secure my first job. Although I have subscribed to the online version of the newspaper, I still have a copy sent to my house in England every week. My mum will go over the auditions with me and make sure the same auditions are posted online that are advertised in the actual hard copy. I am also aware of the problems I  have had regarding internet connection, so it I reassuring knowing that there is a second option.

Like every performer, my CV has my phone number on it allowing companies requiring a quick response to contact me. This means companies do not  have to wait for me to check my emails and respond, which with time difference could mean waiting an extra day.

I have read on both Sophie and Nicole’s blogs about a newspaper similar to The Stage called The Dancing Times.  Having various sources to gather information is key to remaining informed in my profession. I decided to research The dancing Times online to see if it was available online, as The Stage is.

http://www.dancing-times.co.uk/

I have also notice Laura Ann expressing positive reviews towards professional networking site linkedin.com I am very interested in creating professional profiles, and possibly opening more doors for future work.

http://www.linkedin.com/


Both of these methods could  potentially help me broaden my professional network. I am going to make a conscious effort to try apply these new approaches to my current networking practises. By reading the blogs of fellow students and being involved in this process, I understand I am using distant relationships to increase my knowledge on networking.


No comments:

Post a Comment