Reflective Theory.
Reflection plays a key role in my professional career. It is important for me to be able to not only reflect on my performance during rehearsals and the show, but also reflect on my interaction and professional conduct. I have always been aware of reflective practises in my profession.
The most beneficial way for me to reflect and learn from one show to the next is to study videos of myself performing. By doing this I am able, on a weekly basis, analyse my levels of energy throughout the show and study weaknesses that I can improve.
As a dancer I feel it is in my nature to always strive for improvement, this technique of reflection gives me the ability to be independent and push to the standard I wish to be at. The secondary forms of reflection I use are generally the reactions of others around me. I believe that audience appreciation can indicate if, as a cast, we are putting on a good show. If the audience is not responding well I always try to push harder to keep my energy levels high and the entire cast motivated.
The reaction of the Dance Captain to my performance is also very useful. I know that if I receive a lot of corrections, from a previous show, I have to work on my concentration towards choreography.
Dewey defined the educational process as a ''continual reorganisation, reconstruction and transformation of experience''.( reflective practitioner reader) I feel Dewey's ideas regarding education and reflective thought fit very well with my profession. When I came to this statement I found it simple to find an example which Dewey's view covers entirely. When one breaks down the statement alongside what would happen in a rehearsal it becomes very clear.
''Continual reorganisation'', represents the rehearsal itself, ''Reconstruction'', breaking down flaws in the show and solving any problems that arise and ''Transformation of experience'', using the experiences, during rehearsals and re-blocks, to improve ourselves and to hold on to the knowledge we have gained for the future.
David Kolb's learning cycle has opened up doors for me to look at other methods of learning. I feel I am a kinaesthetic learner, entering Kolb's cycle at Concrete Experience. I have studied my workmates during rehearsals to see where I feel they enter the cycle. I assumed that most of my cast would be similar to me but I discovered this is not the case. By doing this I have come to understand my work colleagues on a different level. Compared to my colleagues I have more patience with people during rehearsals and I feel that I am more willing to offer support and advice to others to enable them overcome work related problems.
Schon talks about the ideas of reflection both 'in' and 'on' action. I definitely fall in the latter category.
I can reflect-in -action, but when reflecting on this my judgement is often hasty and not well thought out. If I take a step back from a situation and look in from the outside that is when I feel comfortable to give my opinion. Studying the theories of Schon I am slightly shocked that I do not participate more in reflection-in-action. The strange thing I found is, for example, if there is something wrong with the timing of choreography I feel comfortable to stand alone and try to find a solution. I would class this as reflection-in-action as I am problem solving on the spot. But the fact I have to stand away from the crowd and take five minutes to watch and think means I am reflecting-on-action, watching what is happening around me.
I understand that I must try to be more involved and voice my ideas and opinions as situations arise, try to reflect-in-action as I feel this is a very beneficial tool to have.
It was not until I began writing a journal that I realised how beneficial it would be. I do feel keeping a journal has helped me develop and continue to learn about myself personally and professionally. On a professional level the journal allows me to go back and look over both good and bad days and helps me to understand where the mistakes were and what I could do in the future to help prevent certain situations. I have also used the journal to keep my own corrections from the show, reading over them before I go on stage, which I feel is helping me grow as a learner.
Reflection is a tool that each person must use to their own advantage, taking the experience, looking at it in detail then growing and learning from it. I feel reflection will only aid me in my profession and help me obtain the goals I wish to achieve.
No comments:
Post a Comment